Find Out How We Can Help Your Hearing!
ALL ABOUT TINNITUS
Causes of Tinnitus:
- Hearing loss
- Ear/ Sinus infections
- Foreign objects or cerumen (wax) in the ear
- Nasal allergies which produce fluid drainage
- Noise exposure
- Injuries to the head
- Neck/shoulder pain and/or stiffness
- High doses of aspirin
- Cancer medications
- Malaria medications
- Cardiovascular disease
- Jaw Misalignment
Treatment is available to manage tinnitus! Since tinnitus is a symptom of an underlying condition, it is important to first identify and address the cause. As a result, the following steps are taken in our clinic.
- Comprehensive audiological evaluation assessing the function of the entire ear including the middle and inner ear regions. We utilize high-frequency audiometry and Otoacoustic Emissions to help detect early loss of inner ear function.
- Tinnitus evaluation to assess the pitch and loudness of the perceived sound. Loudness discomfort levels are measured in cases of poor loudness tolerance.
- We have specialized training and years of experience practicing Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT). This technique can provide long-term relief by allowing the brain to learn to ignore the tinnitus sounds. There are devices available that can accelerate the process and bring faster relief in some patients.
- Some tinnitus patients require hearing amplification for relief from bothersome tinnitus. Only a thorough diagnostic evaluation will let us know the best path to take. Our treatment plans are based on the neurophysiological model of tinnitus and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy. We have options based on a patient's specific hearing profile and the nature of the tinnitus. Many patients are candidates for advanced technology that introduces targeted tinnitus therapy sounds into the ears. This is available
with or without amplification, depending on the presence of hearing loss
The initial assessment/diagnostic evaluation is the first step in crafting a personalized long-term treatment plan for you.